Fraser Consulting is looking for an enthusiastic researcher with experience researching entrepreneurial ecosystems and hubs. The role will require primary and secondary research, drawing insights for a research report which will be published in early 2021. This is a short-term contract, estimated at about 8-12 full days of work starting from 7 September, through to 30 October 2020.
Who we are
Fraser Consulting is a results-focussed team who delivers high-impact programmes and projects for our clients, who are largely international development funders. Our projects and programmes support and grow early-stage businesses and ecosystems, both locally in South Africa and across Africa.
Scope and timeline:
The research will seek to map South African hubs across the country supporting digitally-enabled entrepreneurs and better understand the key activities as well as challenges faced by South African entrepreneurial hubs, CEOs and staff, to inform the design of the Launch League programme and potential future interventions, which aims to improve the capacity of entrepreneurial hubs to support and promote digitally-enabled entrepreneurship in South Africa.
This position will include desktop research, survey design and interview guide writing, primary data collection through (online) interviews, and report writing. You will be working closely with members of the Fraser Consulting Team for research briefing and support throughout the research process. The survey will aim to gather feedback and insights from hub staff while the interviews will be conducted with hub CEOs.
The budget for this project is R30,000 (ex VAT) (excludes final editing and design of the report).
|7 – 11 September 2020||Mapping entrepreneurial hubs that support digitally enabled entrepreneurs and activities in various provinces in South Africa, primarily focusing on hubs outside of Cape Town and Johannesburg. (desktop research)|
|14 – 16 September 2020||Compiling an interview guide and needs assessment survey outline|
|16 – 23 September 2020||Running survey (online)Conducting interviews with key people (CEOs) from entrepreneurial hubs (online).Conducting 2 interviews with entrepreneurs running digitally enabled businesses and who have been supported through various programmes (online).|
|30 September – 30 October 2020||Research summary, key findings, and draft report written.|
- Database of hubs supporting digitally enabled entrepreneurs / businesses in South Africa.
- Completed survey & responses from a representative sample of hub staff.
- Completed & transcribed interviews with hub CEOs .
- Report summary, highlighting key finding to influence programme content and delivery.
- Draft research report (10-20 pages)
The applicant will need reliable WiFi, a quiet place to work and their own computer. We have an office in Cape Town with a hot desk available, but you do not need to be based in Cape Town.
- Comfortable using online tools – Zoom, Asana, Google Drive and Slack
- Undergraduate degree and other research experience
- Ability to work independently and remotely but with support and guidance from the broader project team, track record of working within tight timelines, being outcomes driven, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and attention to detail are essential.
- Some experience working in or researching entrepreneurship, hubs, or other entrepreneurship development-related topics.
- Evidence or examples of similar work.
- You will be expected to sign a SLA with Fraser Consulting which will detail the scope of work and payment.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday 7 September 2020.